Green Building, Sustainable Design, or Eco Architect is the growing trend in the construction industry. Government is regulating water and energy management, encouraging construction that incorporates renewable energy, waste water management and comfort from the building surrounding with the use of sustainable material and optimal methods for maintenance.
According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), energy use and consumption by the building sector in the US is as follows
- 39% of the total energy use
- 12% of the total water consumption
- 68% of the total electricity consumption
- 38% of the total Carbon Dioxide emission
The prime focus of the MEP design is to reduce the waste and optimum usage of the resources. The
following are 5 key ways to MEP design using Green Building Technique
1. Reduction of Energy Consumption:
- Use of motion sensor in lights. The lights will get automatically switched on when
- people enter into the space and switched off when exited the space.
- Use of eco-friendly lights and bulbs
- Use of IoT, which can predict the outside temperature and adjust the indoor temperature.
- Use of AI in HVAC system to optimum usage of the HVAC system.
- Use of technology to track the human activity and generate report to optimize the resource usage.
2. Water Management System:
- Use of Solar hot water system.
- Use of AAA rated showers
- Use of low flow faucets and toilets
- Use of Grey water system
- Design Rain Water harvesting and Strom water management.
- Install Water Treatment Plant, Sewage Treatment Plant
3. Use Energy Alternative:
- Installation of Wind, Solar and Geothermal plant to reduce carbon emission.
- Installation of Dynamic solar panel to achieve maximum power output from the solar panel.
- Use Daylight Harvesting, Geothermal heating and cooling system.
- Co-ordinate between and power and special system
4. Use of Sustainable Building Materials:
- Use locally sourced materials.
- Use recycled materials for building and interior.
- Use double glazed windows for insulation
- Design roof vent through which hot air can be escaped without use of HVAC return line.
- Design the building for maximum natural light utilization.
- Paint with light color to the roof for maximum reflection of the sunlight thereby reducing the load on the HVAC system.
- Design the room orientation away from the Sun to reduce load on the HVAC system.
- Design the building orientation and landscape to have minimum impact on the local eco-system.
5. Easy Maintenance and Enduring Building Life:
- Use of sustainable material to have lower maintenance cost.
- Design the MEP with equipment that requires less water, toxic chemicals, cleaners and energy for the maintenance.
- Spatial access to MEP system should be easy.
- Customize the MEP system for each building for maximum utilization and efficiency.
- Install meter in each unit to track the energy consumption.